Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wrestling...and the problem of pain



"Oh God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live
and in your name I will lift up my hands."

(Psalm 63:1-4)

This passage has been well read in my Bible. I can remember times when I spoke the words aloud through tears. Times when my heart hurt so much I thought I might be crushed under the weight of the pain. Times when I had to remember that God is good, and He had to help me to make a choice to trust Him and praise Him despite how I felt. Times when I cried and raised my hands in the air to Him, just like the passage states, even though the hurt had not yet passed, and I didn't know what God was doing, or how long the wait would be.

This week I have spent some time writing some notes to a few friends who are walking through difficult struggles right now. So many, it seems, are in the midst of great pain or deep questions. Some have lost children through miscarriage or stillbirth, some are in struggling marriages, some in severe financial hardship, some have been betrayed by those they trusted, and the list goes on. With few exceptions, most of the women I'm speaking of really love God. They love His Word, believe He is sovereign, and seek to serve Him faithfully. But it's times like these that can cause even the most devout Christian to question the very core of their faith.

The questions they (& I) have all asked boil down to these:

1) "Does God really love me? (And what does that look like?)
2) "Is He really out for my good?"
(And does that "good" refer to only the shaping of one's character and the experience of His presence?)

I have heard each of these women express in their own words that at times it seems like all God wants to do is drag us through crap, one trial after another, just to mold and teach us. I've echoed those same frustrations myself.

Sometimes the truths we've long embraced..."He is in control"..."He works all things for good for those who love Him"...sometimes those true statements can actually seem trite. Have you ever been there? I have.

As I prayed and sought words that would both acknowledge their pain, as well as offer compassionate hope, I recalled times of my own questioning. And to be honest, I still question. Sometimes I still ask God to please clue me in just a bit on what in the world He might be up to in my life.

Boy it can be hard to trust when the road ahead seems black and you can barely see your hand in front of your face. Or when the uphill climb is rocky, hot, & barren with no apparent end in sight. How do we hang on during times like this? Sometimes it's hour by hour, minute by minute. Sometimes we can do nothing but rest in His arms, or even cry out in agony--pouring out all of our questions, hurt, and anger to the God Who knows, and Who is big enough to handle it.

I can say with certainty that in my own life, it has been the most painful times that have taught me the most. It is when I have hit bottom that I have seen that God is enough. It is through walking a painful or lonely road that I have actually found freedom. Freedom in discovering that He ministers to my spirit, sustains me, strengthens my faith and leads me to greater joy beyond circumstance.

I know from my own experience, and from talking with these women, that they are not looking for a Cosmic 'Prosperity Gospel' Genie in the sky. And they understand that God uses all things for His glory. But they are wanting to experience more of God as their tender loving Father, and aren't sure quite what that looks like.

What about you? How do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God loves you? What convinced you? What have your struggles taught you about Who He is? Do you have any Scripture passages that especially speak to you about this? Please share, for the benefit of your co-strugglers.

9 comments:

Carla said...

Sometimes it feels as though I have been "in the valley" for years. Trials of some sort(some of my own making)seem to always be near but I still hope in the Lord.

He reached down from on high and took hold of me, he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place, he rescued me because He delighted in me.
Psalm18:16-19

Kara Jo said...

What a great passage, Carla. Thank you for sharing.

LadyD said...

I know that God loves me because he saved me from abortion, in a 14 year old girl, and gave me life through adoption, back in 1973, when that was not the common choice.
So I could be here now~ Lovin' up my Hubby and Kiddos:)

Kara Jo said...

Laura, God had a great plan for your life. So glad for that 14 year old's decision. :)

Naomi said...

Kara, one of the passages I always go back to is Psalm 139: "Lord you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up. You discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down. You are aquainted with all of my ways..." This passage always reminds me how intimately God knows me and is never far away. He sees everything that's going on in my life. He knows what's happening even when I don't, and has never let me down in leading me through the fog. I will keep you and these women you speak of in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I often simply say over and over to myself Psalm 46:10--Be still and know that I am God.

It contains such a powerful statement. "....I am God". To me it's all there. All that God is. All the power and the knowledge and the love and faithfulness. It's there. Sometimes it's that basic, simplistic statement that brings me back and helps me focus on Him again.

NoOtherName said...

"The Lord is my helper." -from Psalm 118.

I've been banking on this one this week while Brian's away. Even though I feel so alone sometimes, I have to hang onto God's promise that He is my helper. Still trying to understand what that looks like, but it's been a comfort.

Anonymous said...

Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your god is with you, HE IS MIGHTY TO SAVE. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Much like the song by Hillsong "Mighty To Save" he IS mighty to save you from whatever your mountain is and imagine a new father with a baby girl how he treats her and glows when he looks at her! How much more does our perfect heavenly father adore each of us! I pray that scripture often when I feel unable to handle life. What an uplifting blog KJ! You are an inspiration and a rock, even though you don't always feel like one. Love ya, Robin

Willow and Sprout said...

Thank you, KJ. Thank you so much.