Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ridin' on the "P" train


Came into the living room to find Nathan's architectural creation...the famous train made out of kitchen chairs. Complete with sound effects..."Tug-a-tugga, tugga-tugga doot-doot!" (Pronounced in toddlereese, of course.) I think every kid does that at some point in their childhood--it's like a rite of passage for being a kid. So is insisting that the rest of the family ride the train, too. We were happy to comply.

How 'bout y'all? What did you play as a kid that you insisted your family members join in on?

17 comments:

LadyD said...

I had a collection of my Grandma's square scarves that she had given to me. They were all different colors and prints, some were so beautiful~ I would line them all up perfectly on the kitchen floor in a hop-scotch pattern and make everyone jump on the scarves and play hopscotch with me. I think I was around 5-6.
I like your blog!
L.

Kara Jo said...

Lauralynn, that's creative. I bet you have vivid memories of those scarves...do you still have any?

My Grandmother just passed away last month...among some special things that were passed on to me were 3 lovely scarves of hers. And instead of keeping them packed in the cedar chest, I took them out and my kids had fun dancing to music with them, twirling them around and such!

-V- said...

Boggle. Okay... yeah, I still make everyone play. ;-) Hey - look out, your train's headed for a wall!!

Kara Jo said...

V, I wondered if anyone would notice that the train's headed for a wall.:) Sheesh, hope that's not a sign of things to come!
And Boggle, eh? I bet it would have been speed Scrabble if that had been invented yet!

Pam said...

I subjected the family to dental, doctor and hair styling visits. I set up shop conveniently in my room. Somehow, I never had recurring customers.

TheKupkaFamily said...

My sister and I would always play church. She would be the song leader and I would be the precher. We would pass the offering plate and then split the money afterward.

Kara Jo said...

To PW and thekupkafamily: No Way! You guys crack me up!

Blessedw5mom said...

I love that you are blogging my dear friend!!! And more than that I love your reasons. God bless you!

I remember my sisters and I playing restaurant and serving my parents and any guests we happen to have over, too :) My kids enjoy that game today, too.

Unknown said...

My brother and I would come up with these plays that my mom and dad would be forced to watch. I'm sure they were torturous to sit through. Once we did a play for them about the 3 wise men but had to sing "We TWO Kings of Orient Are" because there was only two of us.

Katie R. said...

I would charge admission to have my parents and little sister endure my rendition of songs from The Carpenters.

Kara Jo said...

I'm really getting a kick out of you people who thought of creative ways to make money during your childhood play! Little entrepreneurs.

Kara Jo said...

SWAMPY--if you're reading this, I'm waiting to see what wild and crazy schemes you came up with as a kid!

LadyD said...

Kara Jo, My Grandma passed away suddenly this summer too. It has been very hard to not be able to say good-bye. She lived in Ft.Myers, Florida. When my Mom asked what I wanted from Grandma's house I told her all of Grandma's Bead Necklaces. She had 6 dresser drawers full! All twirled up in egg carton containers! I now have every color of the rainbow for Shelby to play dress-up with. They even still smell like her perfume~ I love it that you are letting your kids play with the scarves- memories aren't meant to be stored in boxes~ I did get a lot of her scarves after she past, but all of the original ones I had to play with are gone~ L.

Danielle said...

I liked to play school with my sister. I was always the teacher and gave her homework. She hated it. LOL

Anonymous said...

I just wanna say that we need more dads out there like Wade. That is so funny! My dad would never have sat in a "train car" like that, and I can't help but think that A,E, & N will look back so fondly and lovingly on this type of thing. To quote Ed, keep up the good work Wade!!

kristi noser said...

I think it's funny that Wade's legs have to buy their own seat.

Kara Jo said...

Kristi, OMS you're right. Never noticed that in the pic before!