Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Poison Control Call #6

Last night I got to get away for a few hours. Errands and coffee with a friend. Had been gone a whole 30 minutes when hubby called. "Nathan decided to try dishwasher detergent..." Hence, a call was made to our good buddies at Poison Control. The folks there are getting to know us on a first name basis as our son seems to enjoy coming up with new substances to ingest every few months or so. (You'd think our house isn't baby proofed. It is.)

So, dishwasher detergent has now been added to Nathan's accomplished resume, right along with Terro ant poison, Goo-gone, hand sanitizer, wall spackling, and my personal favorite--a glass fish eye shard coated in lead paint. (That one was a treasure, courtesy of Grandpa's Taxidermy shop. It also prompted a tummy x-ray and follow-up lead testing.) Now, my girls never did stuff like this. Is this a boy thing? Any goodies on your kids' resume? Or your own from when you were a wee tot?

10 comments:

erin said...

Oh my goodness. Too funny. I'm glad he's ok!
I don't have any children (yet), but I'm going to have to say a big YES, that sounds like a BOY THING to do.

Danielle said...

Oh no not again!! LOL He must have not eaten much..thank the Lord! I think it must be a boy thing too...no problems here with my girls...

Unknown said...

Yep, I think it's a boy thing. Their minds just think of all sorts of "wonderful" things that sound like a good idea at the time. The only thing around here is that Pete almost "let" Jack drink Goo Gone. That and he gave Emma 4x the amount of Benedryl she needed. So maybe in our house it's a Pete thing.

I'm glad Nathan is okay!!!

Kara Jo said...

Danielle, I bet you're doubly thankful for your Melaleuca products, too. :)

Nicole, A Pete thing...He he. How did he almost let Jack drink Goo Gone? Y'know, the thing with that stuff is that although it's organic, non-toxic, and completely harmless to ingest, because it's an OILY substance, it can be lethal if aspirated. (Just like baby oil.) I'm learning lots from the Poison Control people.

kristi noser said...

"ring ring"
Hello, poison control
Hi, it's Ka...
NORM!

Carla said...

This is Poison Control. How may I help you with Nathan today, KaraJo?

Kristi took my idea so I'll just type anyway...

-V- said...

In answer to your question about stuff we ingested... Fuel oil from a container next to Grandma's old furnace. 40 miles from any kind of hospital. Apparently, it was a pretty close call - but they worked it out. Explains a lot, really. :-)

Danielle said...

Yes I am. :) And while Nathan is trying to poison himself, Ariana is wrapping herself in fishing line (neck included, tightly) and then with the scissors that I use to free her, giving the cats a nice little haircut. =-) (I was distracted on the phone...amazing what they think to do when you are not watching.)

Anonymous said...

LOL - I love your stories! There's never a dull moment is there? Keep 'em coming!

NoOtherName said...

Four words...

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON!