Today was Abby's last day of 1st Grade. I'm thrilled that she'll be home for 3 months! She, however, came home in tears--missing her teacher already. She is excited for summer vacation, too, though. Especially trips to Brown's Beach. She's been begging to go swimming, even on the days we're all wearing coats. :)
I'm a simple girl at heart. Though I am detailed and fairly scheduled myself, I don't like life to be as packed full and scheduled as the school year seems to get. I'm looking forward to not having to set an alarm clock (though Nathan will still provide that service anyway) and I'm excited to spend lots of lazy days at the park and the beach with the kids. Truth is, I really love having them around. I love it when they come and snuggle in the morning--especially when they're all in the mood to squish in and be read to. I love hearing the girls play together. I love hearing that Nathan's being included. Don't get me wrong-- there are plenty of times when they fight, bug each other, and exasperate me...but mostly it feels good when they're all here. Or at least that's what I choose to remember. :)
Yesterday we had a little preview of togetherness...a chocolate milk tea party on the front stoop!
I find myself often being nostalgic over how fast the kids are growing up. But I really am enjoying the stages they're at right now. And I'm looking forward to lots more times like these.
P.S. Happy Birthday Jen! And thanks for sharing your cake with us. I know your actual birthday-day this year may not have been as adventure packed as last year's flamingo yard raid...but I'm still just as grateful to be in Hudson to celebrate birthdays and other milestones with you again. Love you friend!
14 comments:
I like when both my kiddos are home too, even if we're all just doing "nothin". Happy summer!!!
What a sweet post.
Wonderful pictures! I need to get the tea party bug.
Nice sepia pics - you're an artiste!
I love Nathan's face in all the pictures....the last one just says what I'm sure he's always thinking. hehe Pretty flowers in the background!
PS-I think I need to get away from my kids more often...then I might feel better about being around them all the time. LOL I hardly have a chance to miss them! And our summer seems to be shaping up the opposite of yours....Ariana has day camp one week, VBS the next, and T-ball during those 2 weeks as well, plus throw in a camping trip with my parents and her birthday party...whew! I'm going to schedule a massage and a babysitter for the end of June. LOL :)
Danielle, Amen! Honey, you are such a trooper--you could DEFINITELY use some more breaks. You are in essence single parenting all week most weeks with hubby out of state. That's difficult. It's 24/7, and it's relentless! I felt the way you do, when Wade was in Arizona and the girls were smaller and more demanding. It was exhausting and lonely, and out of balance.
P.S. I often get a break one night a week for a few hours. (Not every week, but often.) You're right, it does wonders to make me miss my kids and get that excitement back to see them again. :) We also still implement "room time" most afternoons for an hour or so. It does me good, and the kids, too.
Beautiful photos.
Hey, can we get a van update, please??
Erin--sorry. At the moment I'm visiting a friend in Indiana. Was going to try to do a post from her computer but I'm not able to login.
Quick update: We're still looking. We've got a certain $ limit and mileage criteria and are willing to go back as far as 1997's if need be. We've seen several that have matched what we're looking for, but either they've been snatched up quickly, or we somehow didn't see them when they were first listed.
Part of what's taken us so long is that Wade had a co-worker who had a relative with a van to get rid of--at a great price, it sounded. Turned out they wanted more than even blue book value. So we waited around for weeks--for nothing. Still trusting God to provide, though, and give us wisdom. Keep praying!
Thanks for the sweet birthday wish post, KJ! Hanging out with you guys made my day more special and reminded me of the old days.
Why didn't we take that cake out of the box? It was too pretty to leave in there!
Great pictures, Kara Jo. I'm glad you are enjoying your time with the kiddos.
I was wondering why the cake was in the box, too :)
Post a Comment