Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pregnancy Update: 35 & 1/2 Weeks


I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow. (Or Friday, depending on when you calculate from.) This past week I had a few days where I had a marked increase in the number of contractions I was having. (Not alarmingly so, but a definite increase from before--enough to make me lie down and take it easy.) Looking back at my notes from Nathan & Emily's pregnancies, I noticed a similar pattern with them. And by this point in the pregnancy with Nathan, I was dilated to 1 cm, and by my 36 week checkup, with both Emily & Nathan, was dilated to 2-3 cm (& 80% & 50% effaced, respectively.) [I can't compare things with Abby as she was another story altogether--I actually did have pre-term labor with hospitalization starting at around 28-30 weeks.] I've not had anything considered pre-term labor with any of the others.

I had a prenatal visit with my midwife yesterday. I'm 50% effaced (that means the cervix is thinning)--which my midwife said is beautiful and actually just perfect at this point with a 4th baby. And I was relieved to hear that I'm not dilated at all yet. I'm planning a water birth and learned that I need to make it to 37 weeks or they won't let me birth in the water. So, I just need to lay low for another 8-9 days and then I'm in the clear. And if I last longer than that--great! I'm in no rush.

I'd appreciate your prayers that my body will stay "quiet" until at least the end of next week when I'm 37 weeks. (Or beyond!)

8 comments:

Bria said...

I'm definitely praying for you babe! And if you can keep that little peanut in there long enough, I can maybe even be there right after the birth.

Kara Jo said...

I'm SOOOOOOOO excited that you're going to be here soon! We've got the paper count down chain hung...19 days to go!

LadyD said...

This is ridiculous! I came over to leave a comment and the Word Verification section says: kidedue
How crazy is that! Seriously! I am not lying.....

I can't wait to hold your baby! I am having baby fever. I hope it is a boy or a girl :)

Katie R. said...

LOL, Laura that is just a hoot. What a wonderful hope. :)

Kara Jo, I'll be praying your special little one stays right where he/she is for a little while longer.

Can Abby and Emily even stand this though? ha! I bet they are thrilled. Is Nathan getting excited?

Kara Jo said...

LadyD--no way! Too weird. I'm hoping it is a boy or girl, too...and not a goldfish like Nathan was thinking. :)

Danielle said...

I am sooooo excited that you are going to do a water birth. I just loved mine. I'll be praying he or she stays there long enough to do it!

Unknown said...

I'm getting so excited for you!!

By the way, I've tagged you over at my blog. Check it out!

Blessedw5mom said...

Oh ... baby almost here! I'm praying for a beautiful water birth for you! Call me and let me know when you are in labor, the kids and I will feverently lift you up in prayers that day! Ohhhh can't wait o meet your little one!