Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mushy Gushy


A while back, a friend did a fun post on nicknames. That got me thinking...

If mushy gushy, over-the-top nicknames for your children are any indication of your love for them, we must love our kids a lot. Here's a non-exhaustive list of some of the love titles we've used on our little monkeys:

1) Abby's: Abba-do, Do-bird, Abba-dooder-hooder-bird, (I said these were over the top) Baby Pumpkin Seed Face (my mom's), Crabby Abbinator, Monkey-Shiner from Caroliner, Schnoodle, Abba-dooby...(and my friend Jen insisted on calling her Peanut Butter in utero...)

2) Emily's: Gracia Baby, (middle name is Gracia) Gracie Girl, Emilady Lou, Rady-Roo, Ema-doozle, Emily-doodly-oozle, (complete with song tune to accompany) Boom-Boom Baby, Eminy-Schnicket...(Jen wanted to call her "Crunchy" in utero--but I had to draw the line somewhere!)

3) Nathan's: Nater-Putt, Bubba-Gump (he was a chubby infant), Gumpy, Gumper, Napers, Naperkins, Butt-bas, Romp-omp-n-stompinator, Crabby-crabbinator, Grabby-grabbinator, Pumpkin Head, Buddies, Ralph Lug-nut & Ralph-Nater (both my dad's). Oh, and my Grandma Sallie also called him Jeremy--we're not sure why; we think she thought that was his name.

All you parents out there...any cute (or even over-the top) nicknames for your little munchkins? What about when you were little...what did your parents call you?

14 comments:

erin said...

No munchkins yet, but Pedro has nicknames: Pooper, Pete, Patey, Big Boy, Little Boy, Sweet Boy, Killer, Stinker.
He actually answers to most of them. : )
I'lll keep you posted on the munchkin nicknames as they appear.

Katie R. said...

What a fun post!
Isaiah: I-zay (that's how he pronounced his name when little), Eee-ah (that's how Anna pronounced it), buddy, buddy-schmukles, I-zay-ah Schmay-ah, buddy boy, baby boy, rolie-polie-rolli (also a big baby)

Anna: girly, Anna-banana, Annabelle (only Opa and our friend Eric call her that) patoots, patoots-ger, pistol ('cause she is one), sassy ('cause she is), baby peanut (nickname in utero as Isaiah saw pictures of her at 7wks. gestation and that's what she looked like at the time)

Kara Jo said...

Erin, love Pedro's nicknames! (I take it you're having a boy?) Killer's my fave. Quite endearing...is that his name when he's keeping you awake at night with his kicks?)

Katie, I love rolie-polie-rolli! Aw...and Baby Peanut...that reminds me--we also called Abby "Jelly Bean" after her 8 week ultrasound. She even had a little paddle arm and was WAVING at us in utero! Later we called her Baby Pop Can when she was about that size in gestation. Awwww....

Kara Jo said...

Oh Erin...oh my goodness--it just dawned on me that maybe Pedro is your DOG and not the child you are carrying! Now I'm really confused because I could totally see you calling your baby these things. You'll have to clarify for me!

Blessedw5mom said...

My mom thought it was funny to reffer to Mikayla and Gus as Rosie and Roy. Rosie makes sense for Mikayla, Rose is her middle name ... not sure how she got Roy for Gus. Then when Owen came along, he needed an "R" name too. So then it was Rosie, Roy, and Ralph. I don't think she ever gave Zeke an "R" name. But she still calls him "Zekey Zekey Zoo Zoo". I used to sing "Waltzing Mikayla Waltzing Mikayla" to the tune if Waltzing Matilda, and we'd dance, but guess thats really not a nick name. And Owen was our super chuncky chuncky babe, adn a friend just said she had to call him "Buba" (complete with a very southern accent) :)

Katie R. said...

LOL! - KJ, Pedro is Erin's puppy dog. HA! Wouldn't that be something if a mom did call her yet-to-be-met baby "Killer". I picture the baby being born w/ a studded leather jacket. :D

Unknown said...

Pete often calls Emma the "Emmanator". I keep telling him that she probably won't like that when she's a teenager. Other ones for her are Roser (middle name Rose), Rosie Rose, Snuggle Bug, Pumpkin Head,Emma Bug, Love Bug, or even just Bugs, Missy miss, Princess Emma. I guess I have lots for her huh?

For Jack it's been: Jack Sprat (though he hates that now), Jackers, Bud, Jack man. I guess not so many for him.

erin said...

Henceforth, I shall call my baby "Killer."

Blessedw5mom said...

Love the nickname discussion!

Hey, I've tagged you. Check out my blog for details.

Danielle said...

Awww this reminds me of being at your house, especially "Bubba Gump"xfhdh

Kara Jo said...

Danielle, you didn't list your nicknames for your kiddos...I love it that you call your older daughter Miss or Miss Bee, and I love "Boogie" just as much for your youngest. :) Miss being at your house, too...

Anonymous said...

You forgot mine for Abby - Abs of steel.

Kara Jo said...

Ed, you're right--how could I forget that?! Hey, what doin'?

Keithslady said...

If it were just nicknames our family would be Punka-Doodle, Moochie or Keifer-da-moochkin, Tink, Bookie or Chah-bookamon, Doodie, Huck, Sugar or Loppie, Louie, Bubba Sam, Squishy, and Dude or Mr. Gabelicious.

Must be from the genes on my dad's side with the cousins Sugar, Squeekie, and Gypsy.